May 15, 2013
Developer Diary - GUI Improvements
Work has slowed recently due to being sick and other non-game issues.
Hence the lack of posts over the last month. I lost about three weeks
where hardly anything was achieved. However, I’m now back at a proper
work rate, and ready to try catching up. This is a quick post to let
people know what has been happening - mainly little fixes to the GUI.
After camera movement improvements, the GUI was the
most confusing part of the previous alpha release. It needed to be
Improvements just completed include (other than just being generally
- The Tab key now cycles focus through the player’s ships. Pressing
Shift-Tab cycles through all ships.
- The stats box for the selected ship is better formatted and displays
different information depending on what has been selected. Rather
than slide off to the left, hiding the stats box now causes it to
- Planets and moons can now be selected - displaying various stats
- The message box fades away when hidden.
- When targeting many ships on top of each other, a set selection
buttons for all ships present appears so the correct one can be
selected (rather than automatically taking the one at the top).
- The goals have been removed and placed on the main menu, which is
now accessible from a screen button).
- It is now possible to launch all drones with a single click on the
“Launch All” button.
- Hardest (and I think best) of all, ship HUDs will now longer
overlap. If two or more HUDs would normally appear on top of each
other, they will move out of the way. No more annoyance as the
button you want to press is underneath another ship’s HUD!
There is always more that can be done, but time is needed to reflect and
focus on other things before attempting further improvements. Next up is
improving the enemy AI and general gameplay balance. That will complete
the planned work for Alpha3, so I will cut a release an see what the